Welcome!

Welcome! If this is your first visit, please read the introduction at the bottom of the page. You are welcome to leave comments, but comments including hints will not be published. If you have a puzzle you'd like to recommend, please contact teamajk through geocaching.com -- Enjoy the puzzles!

Monday, September 29, 2014

How do you like THEM apples? - 9/29/14

When my children were in nursery school a big part of their fall curriculum revolved around apples.  They drew, painted, and cut out construction paper apples, and read stories and sang songs about apples.  Someone brought in a press and they made their own cider, and they peeled/cored/sliced apples (using a really cool gizmo where you turned the crank and the machine did all the work) and made their own applesauce.  A highlight of the semester was an annual trip to the Cornell apple orchard and store.

Growing up in the south, I didn't know much about growing apples and assumed they were all pretty much the same.  One trip to the orchard store sure changed my mind.  Immediately upon entering the store, I was confronted with 6 or 8 baskets of apples of different kinds, which we were encouraged to taste.  Additional information was provided about which apples were the best for snacking, baking in pies, or making cider or sauce.  The variety of colors (both inside and out), textures, and tastes was truly staggering.

So, when I saw today's California puzzle, I knew I wanted to share it with you and ask:

How do you like THEM apples?

Tomorrow we'll be in California another day.

P.S.  Since this is already a long post I'll add another short note.  I went to the movies yesterday (I only go a couple of times a year) and saw a movie based on a series of books that I really like.  On the way to the theater it occurred to me that it's not at all unusual for geocachers to go for  A Walk Among the Tombstones.

No comments:

Post a Comment