Welcome!

Welcome! If this is your first visit, please read the introduction at the bottom of the page. You are welcome to leave comments, but comments including hints will not be published. If you have a puzzle you'd like to recommend, please contact teamajk through geocaching.com -- Enjoy the puzzles!

Wednesday, October 24, 2018

Lucky Day? - 10/24/18

Today's puzzle takes us to Rhode Island.  With the mega-millions lottery jackpot up to $1.6 billion, I couldn't resist putting in my $2 on a quick pick ticket just for the fun of it.  I know the odds are (ridiculously) long.  But they're 0 if you don't try, right?  Talking it over with my son led to an interesting conversation about the odds, and why someone wouldn't just buy up all of the combinations (assuming they had over 600 million dollars lying around to do so, and it was even possible to get all those tickets printed for you).  I bet someone could write a pretty interesting puzzle looking at the possible payouts, and the taxes(!) in such a scenario, depending on how many other people were lucky enough to have the winning combination.  At any rate, as I'm posting this I'm wondering if someone is going to wake up tomorrow as one:

Lucky Dog

Tomorrow we'll ...

No comments:

Post a Comment