Welcome!

Welcome! If this is your first visit, please read the introduction at the bottom of the page. You are welcome to leave comments, but comments including hints will not be published. If you have a puzzle you'd like to recommend, please contact teamajk through geocaching.com -- Enjoy the puzzles!

Friday, November 11, 2016

Veterans Day - 11/11/16

Today's puzzle takes us to Virginia.  I'm taking a break from my usual tough Friday puzzle to post one in honor of the Veterans Day holiday today.  Teaching at our local community college I often work with veterans who are going back to school following their time serving in the military.  Many of them have served overseas and they can add a lot to our discussion of geology around the world.  Recently we were discussing sand, and I told the students that during the lab time in our next class we'd be looking at some sands from different locations around the world.  One of them offered to bring in some sand he had collected.  He came in to our next class with a large jar of black, granular volcanic sand from Iwo Jima.  When he offered to let me have some of it to add to my collection, I enthusiastically agreed.  As I was labeling the temporary container I arranged for it, I questioned him if there weren't a movie called:


(And yes, there is a movie ...)


                 

No comments:

Post a Comment